- Connect Saitek Rudder Pedals to USB
- Start FSX-SE in default flight @ KLFI with a stock aircraft
- Check if you don’t have any assignments for this aircraft in FSUIPC4; if so, clear them.
- Open Options-Setting-Controls and select in Controller Type: Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
- This is what you get: [Sensitivity 127;127;64-Null Zone 1;1;36].
If you have other values, press Reset Defaults.
- First to calibrate the hardware:
press Calibrate and select in the popup Game Controllers the Properties of your Pedals. if you don’t touch the merchandise…this is what you see:
- When moving the left toe, the plus sign moves from the upper left corner to the upper right corner; the right toe moves from upper left towards lower left corner.
Move the rudder, full left and right.
- Now to calibrate press the button Calibrate in the Settings tab and press Next in the Game Device Calibration popup screen.
- Next again, because there is no button to push…
- Press your left toe and the right toe in full and press Next – Next.
- Move the rudder from the center towards fully left and right;
press Next and Finish.
- You get back to the Test tab; press Apply and OK + OK.
- Y’re back at the Settings-Controls page and select the Axis tab where you check the reverse checkboxes from both toe brakes.
- When you have a joystick attached, delete the rudder assignment (by preference).
- SAVE the flight ! Otherwise the next time it restores the default values. You may want to export (and later import) the settings via the Axes tab > Export Controls.
- Now do the test ride. This is about the rudder effectiveness.
- Load the flight. ..Slowly move your aircraft taxiing on the runway an “feel” how it reacts. Takeoff.
- Since the effectiveness is directly linked to the aircraf, you wil find the statements in the section [flight_tuning] from the aircraft involved.
- Rudder Pedals need best to be optimized for each type of aircraft where you can store the setings in a aircraft specific xml file.
- Sample aircraft used: ../SimObjects/Airplanes/Carenado A36 BONANZA /
- Aircraft.cfg like:
[flight_tuning] cruise_lift_scalar =1.0 pitch_stability =1.0 roll_stability =1.0 yaw_stability =1.0 parasite_drag_scalar =1.0 induced_drag_scalar =1.0 elevator_effectiveness =1.0 aileron_effectiveness =1.0 rudder_effectiveness =1.0 elevator_trim_effectiveness =1.0 aileron_trim_effectiveness =1.0 rudder_trim_effectiveness =1.0 hi_alpha_on_yaw = 1.0 p_factor_on_yaw = 0.5 torque_on_roll = 0.5 gyro_precession_on_yaw = 0.5 gyro_precession_on_pitch = 0.5 gyro_precession_on_roll = 0.5 !! Before you make any changes to this aircraft.cfg, make a copy before you go and register the changes !!